Boxing Ledger's Archives

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Froch Defeats Abraham

Carl "The Cobra" Froch (27-1, 20 KO's) easily outpointed "King" Arthur Abraham (31-2, 25 KO's), reclaiming the vacant WBC Super Middleweight title at the Hartwall Arena in Helsinki, Finland. Official scores were 119-109 (Burt Clements) and 120-108 (Max DeLuca & Oren Schellenberger) twice. 

In the first round, Froch established his range with a sharp left jab, as Abraham assertively pressed the action with a high defensive guard. Froch struck Abraham repeatedly with hard rights to the body. 

Abraham, 30, closed the gap in round two, however, Froch connected more with his right hand behind a stiff left jab.

With a little over a minute left in round three, Abraham hit Froch in the head with a powerful left hook. Still, Froch, 33, dictated the pace of the round and displayed a solid chin. 

Abraham stepped up his punch output in round four, but Froch threw and landed more punches. Froch also started to put his punches together more in combination than the previous rounds.

In round six, Froch scored with a left hook at 1:50, and continued to frustrate Abraham with his superior lateral movement. 

Abraham was much more aggressive in round seven, striking Froch in the face with a potent left jab. Yet, Froch utilized his left jab, and kept using the ring to his advantage. 

Both men picked up the action in round eight. Froch backed Abraham into the corner, unloading a barrage of punches to the body and head. Abraham countered with an overhand right. Then, Froch closed the round by landing his overhand right.

Between rounds nine and ten, Abraham spit blood into a bucket in his corner, which most likely resulted from Froch peppering Abraham consistently with clean left jabs.

In round ten, Froch broke through Abraham's high defensive guard with an extremely accurate left jab. After scoring with a left hook to the body, Abraham momentarily grimaced. Abraham absorbed the shots, but Froch sent him back into the ropes when he landed a right to the body followed by a right to the head. To his credit, Abraham continued to charge forward, although he kept getting nailed by Froch's crisp left jab. Just as the round ended, Abraham struck Froch with a left hook to the head, and followed up with an overhand right. 

After feeling he was hit by a low blow in round eleven, Abraham briefly complained to referee Frank Garza. 

During round twelve, Abraham landed a grazing overhand right, but by this point, Froch had him enormously frustrated. Froch stuck to his plan of circling and firing his left jab. Froch moved in and out exceptionally well, baffling the tough Armenian fighter. Throughout the fight, Abraham very rarely got his punches off before Froch, which ultimately led to his defeat.

No comments: