Tickets, starting at $50, on sale now
By: Alex Dombroff, Dibella Entertainment
NEW YORK, NY (August 5, 2011) – There will be no rest this Labor Day weekend for two of the best welterweights in the world. On September 3, reigning IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck comes to America to put his IBF welterweight title on the line against former WBC champion Andre Berto from the Beau Rivage Theatre at Beau Rivage Resort & Casino in Biloxi, Mississippi.
Battle in Biloxi: Berto vs. Zaveck is presented by DiBella Entertainment in association with SES Boxing. The show will be aired live on HBO’s Boxing After Dark®, beginning at 10:45 PM ET/7:45 PM PT.
Tickets, priced at $150, $100, and $50, are on sale now and are available online at Ticketmaster.com, by phone at 1-800-745-3000, at any Ticketmaster retail outlet, or in person at the Beau Rivage Theatre box office.
“This is one of the premier matchups that could be made in the welterweight division,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment, the promoter of Battle in Biloxi. “Andre Berto is considered one of the elite in boxing and Zaveck is a reigning world champion. Both are known as all action fighters, so you know it will be explosive with so much on the line.”
Berto (27-1, 21 KOs), 27, of Winter Haven, FL, is coming off the first loss of his career, and the loss of his WBC title, on April 17 when he dropped a razor thin 12-round decision to “Vicious” Victor Ortiz, a classic battle that saw both fighters on the canvas twice and one that is considered the front runner for 2011 Fight of the Year. Prior to that Berto, a 2004 Haitian Olympian, had defended his title five times after winning it in 2008 via seventh round knockout of Miguel Angel Rodriguez.
“I am excited to get back in the ring and get gold back around my waist,” said Berto. “Everyone who knows me knows that it wasn’t the real Andre Berto in the ring in April. I’m focused on returning to reestablishing my dominance in the welterweight division and it starts with Jan Zaveck.”
Zaveck (31-1, 18 KOs), 35, originally from Ptuj, Slovenia, but now living in Germany, captured the IBF title in December, 2009 with a shocking third round stoppage of Issac Hlatshwayo in Hlatshwayo’s native South Africa. Since then, Zaveck has defended the title three times, including a majority decision win in 2010 over Rafal Jackiewicz, the only man to have previously defeated him. His bout versus Berto will mark his first professional appearance in the United States.
“I am coming to the United States to put on a great show,” said Zaveck. “When I get on the plane back to Europe, I will have my title belt.”
“Beau Rivage is happy to be partnering with DiBella Entertainment and HBO Sports to bring world championship boxing back to Biloxi,” said George P. Corchis, Jr., President and Chief Operating Officer of MGM Resorts Regional Operations. “The headliner of Andre Berto vs. Jan Zaveck is a very competitive match with Berto seeking to regain another world title and Zaveck, who hasn’t lost since 2008, fighting his first professional bout in the United States. We look forward to putting on a world-class event.”
A full undercard will be announced shortly.